Andrew and I are visiting a church near our apartment. Irving Bible Church. I found it several months ago via Google search. After looking at at least 20 churches I found IBC. They had a few singles groups, each with a website. I looked around and navigated to the pictures, I'm sorry but I had to check out the people and what kind of activities they do. Don't worry, I read the mission statement too.
The pictures were from camping trips, bike rides, hiking, going to outdoor concerts, and things like that. Right off the bat Andrew and I were interested. This is a singles group, made up of actual singles (not several married couples, a few dating couples, an engaged couple, and 3 actual single women), they seem to be very outgoing, do athletic activities all the time, and they even do a once a month service project!! PERFECT RIGHT?!
Well, we can't just go by pictures. They hadn't updated the site in several months so we didn't know if they had a group anymore or they just got real busy. From the looks of it they had about 15 in the core group. Seemed like a good number to us. We're used to the 5 of us brothers and our cousins being the core of a group so 15 is great! It took us till the 3rd weekend being in Las Colinas to have time to even attend church. They do the evening service thing. Upon arrival to the church we noticed one thing very different then what we expected. Being a "Bible" church, I assumed it wouldn't be that big. WRONG! Looks like they had about 3 acres or more of church buildings including a coffee shop. It was huge!! We of course parked on the wrong side of the church and had to flag someone down to get directions to The Point. I just so happened to recognize someone standing in the hall way from the pictures we'd seen. She showed us where they met and gave us a basic tour. I'm sorry, I've met so many people there since then and I can't remember her name. :( The Point is one of the singles groups consisting of people in their 20's. Andrew and I will be 30 in December but why rush things and start going to the 30's group?!
We had a great time in our group talking politics since they were leaderless. Afterwards we all met at Boston's for some food and fellowship. They actually do this every Sunday!! Such an organized group. Again being from a....not so organized group that had all couples in the singles, Andrew and I were pleasantly surprised to see that at least 20 had gone to Boston's. There we met Audra, Kris, Jonathan, Rachael, Kristie, David, Andrew, Benson, and a couple others I know I've forgot, sorry. We had more fun then any other "singles" event in YEARS!! Sad huh?! But exciting for Andrew and I.
On Wednesday the following week there was a "Newcomers dinner" for the newbies to get to know the regulars. A chance to see if this was a fluke or maybe we had found our new church home. This was at Rachael's house next to the Gaylord. Andrew had never seen the Gaylord so it was an obvious landmark. About 20-25 showed up here. Some of the same people and some new faces we didn't see or meet a few days before.
Pizza, fresh-hot-brownies with ice cream, the pictophone game, 2 cool Rachael's (one who graduated from UT and the other how both equally hates Survivorman and loves Bear Grylls!!), great conversation with Austin and Kristie, the pictophone game, ?diet root beer floats?, and some awkward silences = A LOT OF FUN!!
One test left for The Point.....We gotta hear some preaching! See if these people are for real or just know how to have fun. Can't wait for Sunday evening. Andrew and I both are giddy! We haven't been a part of a Christian group that we enjoy hanging out with. That we anticipate the next event. That we look forward to getting to know more and being a major part of. It is truly a wonderful blessing in our lives right now. God is good! New apartment, new job (for me), new city, new church, new friends, GOOD TIMES!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment